Welcome to the White Rock Farmers' Market Blog. From the somewhat unique postion of being a vendor, a director and a customer, I hope to give you a mostly unbiased view of the WRFM! I hope to introduce you to vendors, customers, and even some of the dogs that visit the market. If you would like to be the 'customer of the week', well just stop by and introduce yourself at the Wyndson Farm booth. I'll take your picture and ask you a few questions about the market, and then you can see yourself here.

There will be information about new things at the market, and any other trivia that I can come up with. Suggestions and pictures are always welcome, and comments too.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Salish by the Sea

Unfortunately this past Sunday's market started out kind of wet, which was quite a change to what had been predicted earlier in the week.  It was a different day for me, as I was on my own.  Larry had stayed home as he is recovering from the 'flu, or something like that.  We don't often get colds even, but this, whatever it was, hit him pretty hard.

I had wanted to get to the market quite early, since obviously it was going to take me longer to get setup, being on my own.  Although (no offense Larry!), it didn't take me twice as long.  You know, sometimes it is just easier with one, as then you are never at cross-purposes with anyone.  I did have a few offers of help, but I always say that it would take me longer to explain how to do it than it would to take to do it myself.  And...I have had years of practice setting up by myself at other markets, although we have always both gone to the White Rock one.
This time though, I took the bold? step of stretching a couple of bungee cords between the two front legs of the tent, to keep those early bird shoppers out.  Sometimes you get people wanting to buy things from 8:30 on, and if you keep getting interrupted, it takes forever to set up.  Meredith came and helped me a little bit.  I did have to ask one customer to come back a bit later, but since the weather was not so great, there weren't as many early shoppers.

Yesterday was a First Nations Celebration.


This group marched through the market a couple of times, chanting and keeping time with their drums


After you admire the beautiful button blankets, check out the chivalrous fellow at the back right, holding the umbrella over his lady!



By this time the weather had dried up and the sky had brightened, and people gathered round to watch the entertainment.





There was an intricate model of a Salish fishing settlement on display



Fish drying racks



Say hello to mother, daughter and grandaughter, Gail, Katherine and Luka.  They come to the market almost every week, and like to buy eggs and jam from us (Wyndson Farm), tomatoes from Celyddon Farms, and baked goods from Fieldstone Bakery, European Bakery, and Bread Affair.  They also like to buy jewellry from the vendors at the market.  Their chocolate Labrador Retriever loves the dog cookies they bring home from Zodie's Barkery.

And Happy early Birthday to Luca, who turns 5 later in June!




 Speaking of Zodies Barkery, they  provided me with with a bit more entertainment when they folded up their tent wall.  That thing looks huge!

Unfortunately just before the market ended, the rain started again.  Us vendors were NOT PLEASED to have to pack up in the rain, and load up our wet tents.
But to end on a cute note, get a look at this little golden retriever puppy.

Awwwwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment