Welcome to the White Rock Farmers' Market Blog. From the somewhat unique postion of being a vendor, a director and a customer, I hope to give you a mostly unbiased view of the WRFM! I hope to introduce you to vendors, customers, and even some of the dogs that visit the market. If you would like to be the 'customer of the week', well just stop by and introduce yourself at the Wyndson Farm booth. I'll take your picture and ask you a few questions about the market, and then you can see yourself here.

There will be information about new things at the market, and any other trivia that I can come up with. Suggestions and pictures are always welcome, and comments too.

Monday, May 31, 2010

The market is open for the season

The first market of the season dawned clear and sunny.  Well, someone told me that is what it was like at 6 am in White Rock, but when we got there, despite seeing the odd breaks of blue sky on the way, it was basically cloudy, and that it is really how it stayed for the whole market.  A bit breezy too, but it is a rare day there isn't a breeze or a wind at the market.  We always have to remember to take enough clothes for a 10 degree weather difference between home and White Rock, as that wind can sure make it feel cold after standing there all morning.  We stopped at the tree farm along 16th ave and gave the dogs their usual pre-market walk.  It sure didn't feel like 7 1/2 months since we walked around there.  Even the dogs didn't seem that excited.


There is a new rule this year that no vehicles are allowed onto the market site after 8:30, so most of the vendors were being very good and were set up quite early yesterday.  In fact the place looked too quiet after 8:30, as usually there are still vehicles parked there and people bustling around getting set up, as well as those customers that insist on getting there waaay too early wandering around.

Anyway, the market started off kind of quietly but then really picked up as the morning went on and it got a bit brighter.  I don't know about other vendors, but we had a great day!

The lovely Mayor of White Rock, Catherine Ferguson, along with the market manager, Helen Fathers, on her right, and assistant manager Deb, cut the ribbon and declared the market open for the 11th season.  And Helen and Deb, you're lovely too:)

The entertainment Token Rhyme was good, and the kiddos were getting into the swing of it.
I did realize that it was a bit hard to get around and take photos at times, as when we are busy, it takes the two of us to deal with it all, and to keep the jam stocked up on the shelves.  So despite great intentions, I didn't do all I had planned to do for this blog post, but I guess you're just gonna get what I get around to getting!
Thanks to David Webb for taking some of the photos here. 

This is Chase.  He is 12 years old, and said to be a border collie, husky, wolf cross. He belongs to The Granola King, who was set up a couple of tents over from us.
Chase, like his owner I think, is a free spirit:)  Chase mostly hung around on the grass behind the tents.  He felt it was his job to greet new dogs coming in to the market, but he wasn't pushy about it, and seemed to have a good handle on dog language.  Luna showed him her pearly whites numerous times.  He got the message:)
I heard later that Chase likes to wear a crown like his buddy The Granola King, and also that he gives really good hugs (Chase that is) although maybe the Granola King does too.  Next time Chase is at the market, I'll have to see if I can get him to demonstrate.






We had brought an x-pen to keep the dogs in on Sunday.  Booooorrrrriiiinnnnggg they say.   Nice that we didn't have to worry about the them at all, although Jake is never a problem, he is such a good dog.  Luna and Calli, well although pretty good, leave a bit to be desired some times.  Luna, with her issues with strange dogs and people, needs more supervision.  She seemed to be a bit 'bitchy' yesterday, but hopefully that will improve.

We were set up again next to Zodies Barkery, so I got some information about them. My next post will be a profile on them. 


A cute Nova Scotia Duck Toller straining to get at something edible someone dropped on the ground.  Now if I had a dollar for everytime I've been asked if Jake is a Duck Toller......


At the end of the day, a couple of the bakeries went around handing out some of the their left over bread, so thanks Fieldstone Bakery for the treat.


Coffee Queen Meredith came over to ask if we wanted any more coffee before she dumped the urns.  As she came I was adding, in my head, a column of jam prices up.  So she started calling out numbers and of course I lost my concentration and the total, and had to start over again.  So here is my revenge.
Do you think she could have been more coordinated?  I must have picked that coffee cup with her in mind.
Isn't it a parents job to embarrass their older children?  I think it's payback for what we have put up with over the years.

PS  You can click on any photo to make it larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment